Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: changing carts mid roll?

  1. #1
    BolexPlusx
    Guest BolexPlusx's Avatar

    Post

    In Super-8 you can do this really easily. You will lose about 1/2 second of image because it will be exposed to ambient light, and you can even avoid this if you can find a dark room or use a changing bag.

    Of course your film counter will be off when you put a partially exposed roll back into a camera, but if you remember how much is left on a roll you can figure it out in your head. Any camera I've ever done this to will still have the end of film indicator work correctly when you do this.

    I change rolls quite often. For example I might be shooting outdoor scenes where one camera is best suited and then switch to an XL camera to do the titling indoors. I also commonly do this when I get a new camera where I'll take a roll that's mostly used up and transplant it in and use the last 10 feet or so to test out the new camera. This is a lot less painful than wasting a whole roll of film plus processing.

    It is actually one of the plusses of S8. I've done the same thing with 35mm stills and it worked, but it was not nearly as easy.

    ------------------

  2. #2

    Post

    thanks I will try that...Dave

    ------------------

  3. #3

    Post

    I am using my b/w film to shoot some weddings but I will be going from indoor lighting to outside and I wanna know if I can change my b/w film cart mid way through? I am using tri-x reversal and reg. b/w reversal...thanks

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I've changed rolls a million times.
    No problem.
    I just always advance the film a little if I've shot a take that I know I ned the last bit of film for sure.
    I'm always careful to put it back in the box though, and I always cover the film cartridge opening with my hand when taking it out.


    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Here's a little trick I used to use when doing lap dissolves in-camera. If I needed to do several takes of something and wanted to end in a dissolve to another location (or a different day, etc), I would use Tupperware sandwich containers spray painted black inside and out to store the film in after doing a partial dissolve. It worked like this:

    1)Finish take one and hit the dissolve button. Place the camera in a changing bag and unload the cartridge, placing it in one of the light tight Tupperware containers. Seal the container.

    2)Place a new cartridge in the camera and finish take number two, doing the same thing with a second Tupperware cartridge, etc.

    3)At the new location, empty the film chamber of the camera and run it while hitting the dissolve button. That will allow it to complete a partial dissolve without film in the camera.

    4)Using the changing bag, remove the first cartridge from the Tupperware container and place in the camera. Then, backwind the film and shoot the next scene like normal.

    Repeat for the next cartridge, etc.

    What this does is allow you to have multiple takes on a scene that ends in an in-camera dissolve to a different location. Of course, this means that the two takes are married by the dissolve forever but at least gives you several chances without having to drive back and forth between the two locations for each extra take.

    If you're REAL careful, you can also cover the cartridge opening with black darkroom tape in a changing bag. The only thing you have to watch out for is the tape accidentaly sticking to the film. The Tupperware method works much easier.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •